Alumna Profile: Catching Up With Katherine Bomstad

degree in sales and marketing

Katherine Bomstad

Timing and getting the proverbial foot in the door can play a large role in getting started in the career you want.

Just ask Katherine Bomstad.

A 2009 graduate of Minnesota School of Business-Plymouth (MSB), Bomstad started in a support role at Prosperwell Financial of Plymouth in March 2010 before being named the Director of Marketing.

“[At that time] somebody was doing all the marketing, but I stepped right in after she left since I had been trained in to [help her] and because I had the marketing background,” Bomstad said.

As director, she has seen a complete re-branding of Prosperwell (formerly Strategic Financial).  Katherine also helped start a biannual networking event benefiting domestic abuse victims called ‘Chicks and Charity’.

Bomstad has had the chance to work on a variety of different projects for the company and its founder, Nicole Middendorf, including helping with the release of her second book, “Lipstick on the Piggy Bank.

“We have big plans for the future [of Prosperwell],” Bomstad said. “I have experience in all kinds of different areas thanks to her.”

Bomstad started her collegiate career at St. Cloud State University, making the two-hour round trip from her hometown of Delano. Looking for a change, she transferred to MSB in 2008, finishing her degree in sales and marketing in September of 2009.

“The convenience, location and flexibility are what drew me [to MSB],” she said. “The online classes were a big draw for me too. I had done well at the few I had done before.”

Her advice for aspiring marketers? Get an internship.Katherine Bomstad, Prosperwell Financial, degree in sales and marketing, Nicole Middendorf

“I think that would have helped me out a lot,” Bomstad said. “Figure out what type of marketing you want to do. I never would have thought I would be marketing a financial planning company, and getting to do all the different things I have done since then. It’s been a great experience.”

This entry was posted in Business, Plymouth Campus and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.